25 Health Benefits Of Wheatgrass
Wheatgrass is an edible substance made from the freshly sprouted first leaves of the wheat plant. This is either ground into a fine powder or made into a juice for the consumption of both humans and animals. Wheatgrass has numerous benefits as it is full of nutrients and antioxidants vital for the human body.
Let us look at some of the benefits of consuming wheatgrass regularly.
- Weight loss: Wheatgrass contains selenium, which facilitates the healthy functioning of the thyroid gland. This, in turn, helps keep our body weight in check. It is therefore handy for people looking to lose a few kilograms.
- Anti-ageing: The chlorophyll present in wheatgrass contains enzymes, amino acid chains and antioxidants which helps in repairing damaged DNA and decomposing the superoxide radicals in the body and slows down the ageing process.
- Eliminates toxins: Wheatgrass is alkaline in nature and contains nutrients which flush the toxic substances out of the body and cleanses it from within. This results in a better health overall.
- Oral Health: The antibacterial and antimicrobial property of wheatgrass boosts oral hygiene and reduces the risk of cavities and gum inflammation.
- Boosts immunity: Wheatgrass is known to increase the count of red blood cells which enhances the immunity of the body. This can help in keeping common diseases such as flu, cough and cold, and other infections at bay.
- Treats skin diseases: Wheatgrass is used to treat skin diseases such as eczema, psoriasis, acne, skin wounds by regenerating the skin cells.
- Enhances digestion: Wheatgrass contains lots of fibre and vitamins which improve the function of muscles in the digestive system. It also helps in converting carbohydrates into much-needed energy.
- Improves the condition of hair: Wheatgrass is widely believed to be a remedy for dandruff and reverses greying hair.
- Keeps sugar level in control: Wheatgrass is proven to be an effective anti-hyperglycaemic agent, which makes it beneficial for those suffering from diabetes.
- Treats Arthritis: The chlorophyll present in wheatgrass helps in combating inflammation and eases joint pain, which is linked with curing arthritis.
- Cleanses the liver: It helps in detoxifying the liver by ridding it of excess toxins such as heavy metals.
- Destressing agent: The vitamin content present in wheatgrass boosts the adrenal system prevents iron deficiency and helps achieve a better condition of mental health and overcome anxiety.
- Enhances libido and fertility: Wheatgrass contains a compound known as P4D1, which increases fertility levels in the human body.
- Lowers blood pressure: The chlorophyll present in wheatgrass helps increase the red blood cell count and normalizes blood pressure.
- Boosts circulation: When consumed directly before a physical activity or exercise, wheatgrass has been found to increase the oxygen levels in the blood.
- Reduces cravings: Being chock full of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients, it reduces the craving for other foods to compensate for the intake of such nutrients. By reducing such cravings, it helps in preventing overeating.
- Lowers cholesterol levels: It helps in improving the lipid levels and thereby reducing the cholesterol levels, which reduces the risk of developing heart disease.
- Clears sinus congestion: Drinking wheatgrass juice can keep our olfactory path clear of any excess mucous content and helps in clearing sinus congestion.
- Get rid of hangover: The alkaline nature of wheatgrass makes it perfect to cure hangovers by offsetting the acidity caused due to alcohol consumption.
- Energising agent: By clearing out the harmful, toxic substances, the body can focus its energy better on other forms of physical activity and in performing day-to-day activities.
- Anti-depressant: By balancing the iron levels in the blood, wheatgrass helps in fighting depression and improve mental health.
- Eases bowel movement: Wheatgrass has been proven to reduce bowel inflammation and ease movement.
- Reduces menstrual pains: By compensating for any lack of vitamins and minerals, it helps in tiding over the menstrual cycle better.
- Improves cognitive function: Consumption of wheatgrass allows the neuroprotective effects to boost the cognitive function and help ward off Alzheimer’s disease.
- Improves the condition of the nails: The high iron content of wheatgrass allows blood to reach the fingernails and eliminates any white spots which are suggestive of iron deficiency and lack of circulation.
In view of the above benefits, it is recommended to consume wheatgrass juice every morning, for a healthy day ahead. It can contribute towards the overall well-being of the people. Health experts vouch for the immense beneficial effects of wheatgrass, but at the same time caution that it should be treated as an addition to our everyday diet, and not as a supplement or replacement.